Friday, March 17, 2017

Chapter 7 ~ Baby Registry

Early on in my pregnancy, I started doing research. I know that the baby market is CRAZY! There are so many different products and options!!! I wanted to not just get things because they look cool but because we needed them.

First, I went to my friends, I wanted to know what they felt was a need and what products they recommended. I took their suggestions and what I had seen and experienced (while babysitting and at work) and went to the internet to find out more!

Some things I have already broken down in previous posts (see Chapter 3 & 4.) I will break down more in the future as well. This post is just a list to help you along the way.

CREATING A REGISTRY
Though not everyone in my life is into technology, I knew the easiest way to share our registry was to have it available online and to have it all in one place.

This led me to "MyRegistry.com"

PROS:
  • It's like Pinterest! You download a bookmark and you can add anything you want, from any website to one registry.
  • Allows you specify number of items desired, colour, etc. It also allows you to post the cost of the item.
  • When someone opens an item, it directs them to the site you added the item from. MyRegistry gives them your address, if they want to ship it directly to you. It also has multiple reminders for the the viewer to come back to the MyRegistry website to mark the item as purchased.

CONS:
  • If you create separate registries (through amazon.ca, Babies 'R Us Canada, etc) you can't link them. This has not been made possible in Canada yet. 
  • When you check or update your registry, purchased items are revealed. There's no way to keep them hidden. If you don't want to know what you're getting, stop looking a few weeks before your Shower, etc. You'll only see who the gift is from if you open the item from your registry.
  • You'll get e-mails for contests that Canadians can't enter. They are apparently working on a filter for this. I suggest unsubscribing until this is resolved. 

TIPS:
  • Some items that you register for can disappear quickly and not come back. Be aware and check your items and links often (this will no appear on MyRegistry.) 
  • Have back-ups. Our crib disappeared and was no longer available in Canada except for three times what I had found it for. I hadn't kept my list of other options, so I had to research all over again. When doing research, keep track of your top three for major items.
  • Stores like Costco.ca, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and Babies 'R Us have the majority of the products only available online, not in-store. Be aware of this and let people know in advance.
  • Ask for gift receipts! I had a large group shower at my work. Many people there didn't look at my registry. As a result, I had duplicate gifts. So, make sure people get gift receipts! You don't want to make those calls.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a big believer in saving money where we can. I didn't want to get items that aren't needed or useful, and I wanted to try to get the most of of our space and money. I expanded on this in my first post, check out Chapter 1 ~ Nesting: The Nursery, to see some examples of how we accomplished this.

Without further ado....

MY REGISTRY LIST:

Pre-Nursery:
  • Bassinet 
  • Sheets (2-3)
  • Swaddle Blankets and/or Wraps
The Nursery:
  • Crib
  • Mattress (watch sizes!)
  • Sheets (3)
  • Mobile
  • Dresser and/or Change Table
    • I suggest a dresser, more versatile and gives storage
  • Change Pad
  • Waterproof Pad
  • Sheets (2-3) 
  • Diaper Genie
  • Bag Refills
  • Odor Puck Refills
  • Laundry Bin
  • Rocking Chair
  • Humidifier
  • Night Light
  • Baby Monitor
  • Size Dividers (for closet)
  • Toy Bin
*I suggest that you don't stock up on diapers, wipes, diapering items, or bath items as you don't know what your baby's skin will be like.* But if you want a specific product, let it be known on your registry. Personally, I like Live Clean (proudly made in Canada!) and I will expand more in another post.

The Bathroom:
  • Baby Bath Tub (with different stages)
  • Bath Thermometer (if you feel it's needed)
  • Wash Cloths
  • Baby Hooded Towel
  • Nasal Aspirator
  • Thermometer (make sure it's good for infant)
**I suggest that you don't register for clothes, books, or toys as you will get plenty. But if there is something you want specifically, add it to your registry.** 

House:
  • Swing or Vibration Seat (you really don't know what your baby will like but so helpful!)
  • Play Mat (for multiple stages)
  • Toy Bin(s)
  • Play Yard
  • Sheets (1-2)
  • Baby Carrier
    • Make sure it's versatile if you both plan on wearing it. Most men don't want to wear a sling. Be aware of colour (attracting sun, and mess.)
Feeding:
  • Breastfeeding
    • Pillow (optional)
      • I found a regular pillow worked just fine!
    • Breast Pump
    • Storage Bottles/Bags
    • Storage Container (optional)
  • Formula
    • Again, be careful! Sign-Up for samples and see what your baby likes first. They could take it fine but don't digest it well. Formula isn't cheap so see what works before you stock up! Then, get coupons and look for sales!!!
  • Both
    • Bottle Drying Rack
      • Not a need but handy. All the little pieces can fill your dish rack. Having designed for this, is very helpful as my dishwasher did not wash bottles well.
Car & Travel: 
  • Car Seat
  • Additional Car Seat Base (optional)
    • Allows you use seat in multiple cars without removing base.
  • Stroller
  • Car Seat Cover (optional)
    • I say optional, but it's really handy! Blocks out distractions and light. Helps protect from the cold in the winter....
  • Reflective Shades (optional)
  • Rear View Baby Mirror (optional)
  • Car Seat Protector (optional)
Diaper Bag: 

3 Months+:
  • Booster Seat or High Chair
    • We choose a multiple stage booster seat. Needed for travel, suits all stages, and easier to store.
  • Making Baby Food (if you choose to do so)
    • Food Processor/ Steamer
    • Ice Trays or Containers (to freeze food)
  • Baby Dishes (Plates, Bowls, Spoons, etc.)
    • Don't register for bottles, babies can be picky about nipples. No sense getting a bunch of bottles that you can't use!
    • There are pieces available to help you know when food is the right temperature. 
    • Keep in mind items that will work for travel as well.
    • Snack Catchers
    • Water Bottle 
      • Look for one that can convert through different stages (bottle, sip top, regular.) Klean Kanteen has a great one.
  • Exersaucer or Activity Gym (optional)
    • Like a swing or a bouncy seat, it is not necessary but helpful! 
    • It can help give you a needed break to get a couple chores done or just finish a hot cup of coffee or tea! ;)

Please comment below if you want specifics on an item we choose, have questions, or think I missed something! We help each other!

Until next time,

Canadian Country Mama






No comments:

Post a Comment