Friday, March 10, 2017

Chapter 6 ~ My Experience with Maternity Clothes

Why is it so hard to find good quality stuff these days? More specifically, why is it so hard to find clothes that are made well, especially for pregnant women?

I go to stores like Sail and they carry quality clothing brands that last. Yes, you pay higher prices for them, but if I have to pay to replace cheaper items, in the long run, I pay more. To me, it makes more sense to pay $150 for good winter boots that will last me 8 years (and counting - Thank you Merrell!) than to pay $50 on boots that may last a season or two.

I am less willing to pay top dollar for something that I will only be wearing 9 months or so. Maternity stores charge just as much or more than regular stores at the mall. Not having options, we're forced to pay. And their quality is disappointing.

And what makes it even harder? Poor selection, tight fitting or extremely loose fitting styles (making it hard to feel good about yourself), and return/shipping policies that are lacking.

Unfortunately, with this post, I don't have solutions. Although at the end I have a few suggestions.

But I am hoping that as we stand up, as we ask for more, we will make a difference. After all, if you've seen Pocahontas, you know the difference a ripple can make! Let's get on social media. Let's ask for more clothes made in Canada. Let's ask for quality. Let's ask for companies to stand behind their products!

Do you remember when Zellers had their jean program? You could bring in jeans, no matter how worn, and get a replacement! That was believing in your product, supporting your customers. If we ask for that, if we stand for that together, the ripples will grow!

Let's get #bringqualityback trending. Let's make ripples. Let's ask for more!

This is my story.

Being from a small, rural community in Ontario, I am not close to many maternity stores. Ones that were closer are Thyme Maternity and Motherhood Maternity. These are probably the most popular. H&M has a small corner that is so poorly stocked, it shouldn't make the list. And The Gap was worse. Otherwise, my options were to go online.

These were my problems:

  1. I have curves. I am not ashamed of them but I don't want everyone to see them either. So, I don't wear skin tight clothing. It was hard to find styles that made me feel comfortable. Many tops were low-cut and tight fitting. This is not my style.
  2. I believe that stores where you can shop on-line should allow you to return to the store. This is not always the case. I don't want to pay to try on clothes. (Paying to return items does not make sense to me.)
  3. I have a problem paying high prices for clothes that will not last. It's a waste.
  4. Pregnancy isn't the only thing you have to buy for! You need to think about clothes for nursing too (if you make that choice.)
So, when I could no longer fit into my pants, I went to Thyme Maternity as it was the closer store. To go to Motherhood was double the time and more traffic.

My experience? It was hit and miss. One visit, helpful and friendly. The next, the complete opposite.

Early on, I bought: a pair of jeans, some leggings, two nursing bras, a top, a maxi dress, and a jean jacket, and a rain coat. I also got the Marcelle stretch cream. I received 2 coupons.

Win: the sporty nursing bras are comfortable.
Win: the top looks great with leggings and could be worn after birth. 
Win: the maxi dress and jean jacket are the same, I can wear them pregnant and not. 
Win: I got coupons.

Then it all went downhill.

Coupons
The coupons were only for their fancier clothing. I hadn't bought anything that it would apply to and I wasn't going to. The coupons were limited and useless.

Rain Coat
One spring day, I was out at a park. It started to rain. No problem, I was wearing my rain coat! Wrong. It took 3 minutes for the rain to seep through the coat. By the time I got to my car, I was soaked. Completely soaked. Their jacket was regular $115. I got my waterproof Salomon coat at $99. I have never been soaked, I've never been wet! Why do I have to pay more because it's maternity? And why do they charge so much for something so poor?

I contacted Thyme about their poor product and I got this:

"We value the time you have taken to inform us of your comments and suggestions regarding our merchandise as well as our coupons. Rest assured that we have forwarded your e-mail to the appropriate department to review your concerns.

Comments from our customers such as yourself are the key to improving business, and we appreciate them tremendously. 

Thank you and we hope to serve you again soon."

Then I got another e-mail saying that my case was closed. That was it! Nothing to try and make it right.

Stretch Mark Cream
After a week of use, I had zits all over my stomach. When I contacted Thyme, they told me because it was opened, it was nonreturnable. Even stores like Shoppers will allow you to return a product if it causes that type of reaction. They offered nothing. They made no attempt to make it right.

Pants

The jeans and leggings were ok for the first couple months. Then, they started wanting to come down. The dryer didn't help. (Note: After birth, still unable to wear my normal pants, these want to keep falling down and roll over.) This was annoying but nothing compared to my biggest disappointment. 
I sat down on the couch and R-IIIIIIII-PPPPPPP! My jeans split open. They ripped right across the back of my leg like shorts...very short shorts. 

Two days later, wearing my leggings, I sit down...

Yup...R-IIIIIIII-PPPPPPP! These ripped right on the seam.

I had the pants for about 6 months. When I called Thyme, they said there was nothing they could do. When I asked to speak to a manager, they said no one was available. 

I know things wear, I know they don't last forever. For me, my frustration lies more in their unwillingness to make it right. 

I have jeans in my closet (unable to wear them) that I have had for years! Why are these maternity jeans made so poorly!? Why won't they stand behind their products? Why do they charge so much for things that are so poorly constructed?

Because we'll pay. We have to.

I know this is a big rant on Thyme Maternity. Honestly, the products I got from Motherhood (other than the nursing tanks), weren't much better. Other company's return policies made it too hard/costly for me to try. And the things I tried from Amazon were sized all over the place. At least I didn't have to pay to return.

As a whole I am disappointed. I am frustrated. I am broke. Ok, not really, but with all that money spent and wasted, I could have bought things like diapers! I needed that money!

Suggestions:
  • Buy clothes that you can wear while pregnant and ones that you can wear after too. Longer tunics with leggings are comfortable and stylish. Also, maxi dresses are great in the heat and trendy too.
  • Be aware of styles that you can wear for nursing too. Wrap tops that cross in the front allow you to pull down one side for easy nursing. They can also help hide unwanted rolls ;). Pulling down a top is much easier than having to roll one up (and keep it there!)
  • Try the rubberband trick. If your pants still fit, just not in the waist, tie the band to your button hole and loop over your button. Not good enough? Try a belly band.
  • Some tanks are slack enough you can just pull them down. Or, go to Pinterest for DIY Nursing Tank Ideas! Unfortunately I looked to late. Summer was over and the spaghetti strapped tanks were gone. 
  • Be comfortable! And invest in some good shoes! I bought new shoes, but I made sure that they were styles that I could wear during and after, even if my feet did grow a bit (possible!)
That's it! Sorry this post is more negative, I promise this is a rare post!

Remember: Let's get #bringqualityback trending. Let's make ripples. Let's ask for more!

Until next time,

Canadian Country Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment